Monday, March 10, 2014

NATURAL COLOURS AND DYEING

As you can see in my last blog post I have been experimenting with natural dyes. The dyes are all plant based and different parts of plants can be used as dyestuffs, like barks, roots, leaves and flowers.. To set the colours and make them more lightfast I treat the fabrics with mordants, which can be certain kinds of salts for example.



It's quite a labour intensive process. Especially considering that I don't have a water supply in my studio.
But I love doing it, it's quite meditative and I love seeing the results.



I will start offering a few items, such as dresses and women's and men's t-shirts in my Webshop, in the beginning in a few different colours. Right now I have yellow, sand, brown and grey available and I'm also experimenting with different shades of purple.



I'll post some experiments and results on my facebook page too, so, if you haven't already "liked" it, you can do that now.




The first item I listed in my webshop is this beautiful men's t-shirt I made from an organic sweatshirt fabric and dyed in this absolutely lovely yellow colour. There is also a slight tie dye optic to most hand dyed items. Colours and patterns vary in each item and make them truly unique.


Will be posting more soon, keep updated here on my blog or on facebook or my webshop.

No comments:

Post a Comment

”related