Monday, September 16, 2013

DYE GARDENS AND WITCH KITCHENS

If you are following me on Facebook, you might know I've recently gotten quite interesting in natural dyeing. I went to a workshop a while ago and then dedicated a corner in my studio to playing around with natural dyes as well. With shelf, cookers and big pots and everything.

My dye shelf. It's cute, but it should be BIGGER!

It's a lot of fun and I feel like a witch, stirring these big pots with twigs that I've found outside. In German we would say it's like a "Hexenküche" - a "witch kitchen". It's also really meditative.

Omg, I couldn't get enough of those scarves.
Unfortunately they are silk and I don't don't use silk, coz not vegan.

I've tried a couple of things, but don't have the time right now to commit myself to it more. Eventually I want to sell a couple of things - clothes that I've found or made, dyed with natural plants.


At the weekend I vistited one of my friends in her dye garden. She started it together with a couple of other women at the Allmende Gardens at the Tempelhof Airport which closed down only a few years ago.

Luscious!

It was the most beautiful late summer day (you get a lot of sun at the airport field when it's sunny, coz no trees!) and the beautiful, natural coloured textiles looked so vibrant flowing in the wind. I don't even think the pictures do them justice. They looked amazing!!


I was very impressed what these ladies had done in half a year. Really great!
And I also got some tickseed seeds, which I'm trying to grow on my window sill now. 
Aren't those colours beautiful?

No comments:

Post a Comment

”related