Wednesday, March 16, 2011

THE MIRROR


Last Saturday i went to see the show for Hopeless Lingerie’s new range The Mirror. Inspired by the duality of good and evil it’s an all white collection made for honeymooning brides and of course everyone else.

The show was held at the Butterfly Club, a kinda kitschy/creepy cabaret bar in Melbourne’s South, which is just an extraordinary venue.


Anyways, the show was nice and Gaby was nice, we had only met over the internet previously so it was great meeting her in person and to have a bit of a chat to her.
We got there a bit early, but the atmosphere was surprisingly relaxed and loungy, not at all as stressful and frantic as i expected.

Not being used to shoot pictures in dimly lit rooms i was fiddling around with my camera settings for half of the time, but i’m actually quite happy with how the pictures turned out.


My favourite piece

So i thought i would ask Gaby a couple of questions about the show and the range and she was so kind to answer them for me.
...

So first of all i wanna Congratulate you again on a successful show. It was really cool. Do you wanna tell us a bit about the people that were involved in organizing it?

I pretty much organized it all myself! I only had a week in which to do it, and thankfully two of my wonderful model friends were happy to help out. And also another friend who is a makeup artist was available to do that side of things at short notice. The venue is owned by a friend of a friend so that side of things was also very lucky!


How many shows have you done already? How are they different? What are you learning from them?

I have only been part of one other group show - and that was with 7 other brands - it was a very different experience and much more stressful, as I did not get to make any decisions about models, running order, timing or anything else. This was a much better experience as I could really do what I wanted to do, and could run things to my liking. Next time it would be great to have a little more time to invite guests and have a couple more models. Other than that there is not much I would do differently! I think the most important thing is to have a great venue, and then most of the work is already done for you.


How did you come up with using Tony from Terry Gilliam's Imaginarium of Dr Parnassus as an inspiration for the range?

I always base my ranges around a film. And I am a huge fan of Terry Gilliam - after watching the film I thought it would be best to take one element to use as inspiration, as there as so many visual elements I could have been distracted by. I like how Tony always wears a white suit, and you are never really sure if he is good or bad.


Gaby with her lovely models

What’s next for Hopeless?

I plan on doing 3 more small ranges this year (one for each season) and then another show at the end of the year!

---
Hopeless Lingerie’s on Etsy
Hopeless Lingerie on Facebook

3 comments:

  1. great interview and looks like it was a great show, the photos are awesome too - well done ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. fun interview + the photos look great!
    i'm a fan of gabby's creations.
    thanks for your comment :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. darling so pleased you got to go...venue sounds so interesting...and the hopeless stuff is always exquisite (says she who lives in black cotton undies and bras!)...and yes the photos came out reallllly well....

    ReplyDelete

”related